Saturday, June 9, 2012

All-natural way to get rid of pesky ants! ICK!

AAAACK, i despise ants!!! And i have been dealing with a full-on ant infestation in my home! Now mind you, even the cleanest of homes can have them but with this being the first summer in a new place, i wasn't prepared for an infestation!  I've always had a few here and there every springtime, but they have always been easy to get rid of too. Not in this house!! What are we living on an ant community? LOL! So not only are my 10 ant baits not helping, they are getting worse AND have even made their way to my kitchen countertops!! Blech, disgusted to see this when i woke up this morning!!! 


Ok, so this calls for the big guns-LOL-i searched the internet and came up with this amazing bit of advise....Peppermint Essential Oil! Aha, ants hate it and it's totally safe to use around my child-YAAY! What's even better? I actually HAD it on hand from my soap and lotion making! Well, i could not be happier with this solution! It works, and my kitchen smells like peppermint bon bon-YUMMY!!! I'm a happy mama right now!! Now this took care of the kitchen problem, but i still have a problem in my livingroom and since it's carpeted i was thinking of trying this solution in a spray bottle! I think it would be safe to spray around my doors and such, but since i don't know the effects on carpet yet...i will do a test patch and get back to you! 





Instructions: 
Clean bench tops and cupboards down really well, mix some warm water and about 5-6 drops of Peppermint Essential Oil, and wipe down with a cloth. Make sure and hit all the edges of your cupboards too! 


Ants hate the smell of it and it is also environmentally friendly, and safe for humans and children, and no residue powders etc to clean up. Add the big bonus is the kitchen smells fresh and minty. I found my oil at a health food store, but i also buy a lot of my essential oils online. Must be an essential oil and not a flavoring!


BTW, this is just the first day of trying this remedy but i was excited to share! I will update with anything else i have to add, soon! =)

**UPDATE-I spoke too soon, by evening they were back!! Grrr....i think the water was too diluted so i'm gonna give it a go with straight peppermint oil on a rag! I will update again soon....

No comments:

Post a Comment